It is the passage of three or more liquid stools per day.It is usually a form of infection in the intestinal tract.It can be caused by viral,bacterial and parasitic organisms.Infection is spread through person to person due to poor hygiene,contaminated foods and drinks.
Types Of Diarrhea
- Acute watery diarrhea-lasts several hours or days and includes cholera
- Acute bloody diarrhea-also called dysentery
- Persistent diarrhea-lasts 14 days or longer.
Diarrhea is the infection caused by virus,bacteria and parasite.Infection is more common when there is shortage of hygiene and safe water for drinking,cooking and cleaning.viral bacteria is caused by rota virus and norovirus. while the bacterial diarrhea is caused by clostridium and compylobacter.
Children who die from diarrhea often suffer malnutrition.Each diarrheal episode,in turn, makes their malnutrition even worse.Diarrhea is a leading cause of malnutrition in the children under five years.
Water contaminated with human stools, like from sewage,septic tanks and latrines.Animal stools also contain microorganisms that can cause diarrhea. Diarrheal disease can spread from person to person due to poor hygiene.Food can also be another cause of diarrhea when it is cooked or stored under unhygienic conditions.water can also contaminate food during irrigation.Fish and seafood from polluted water can also cause diarrhea.
Prevention And Treatment
Steps To Prevent From Diarrhea:
- Safe drinking water
- Use of improve sanitation
- Hand washing with soap
- Exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life
- Good personal and food hygiene
- Rota virus vaccination.
Steps To Treat Diarrhea:
- Re hydration: with oral re hydration salts(ORS) solution. ORS is the mixture of clean water,salt and sugar. ORS is absorbed in small intestine and replaces the water and electrolytes lost in the feaces.
- Zinc Supplements:It reduces the diarrhea episode by 25% and are related to 30%reduction in stool volume.
- Nutrients Rich Foods:the circle of diarrhea and malnutrition can be broken by giving nutrients rich food including breast milk and by giving nutritious food to the children when they get well.
- Consulting A Health Professional:we should consult to a health professional when there is blood in stool.